Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum

Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum (http://www.mysidiaadoptables.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Supports (http://www.mysidiaadoptables.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Alternate adopt (http://www.mysidiaadoptables.com/forum/showthread.php?t=832)

RipJawWolfFang 05-17-2009 06:24 AM

Alternate adopt

Okay i now have 2 pets that SHOULD have 50% chance of lookng diferent...
instaid some people cant seem to get the real one... the aulternates are showing up everywhere though

Seapyramid 05-17-2009 09:57 AM

RE: Alternate adopt

That's what happens with a 50/50 chance. Change the rate to 1/7 or so and people will get the alt a lot less.

BMR777 05-17-2009 11:46 AM

Yeah, and the randomization isn't perfect. It uses PHP's rand() function which is based on the system clock, so with a low chance such as 1 in 2 this can be affected by the server's clock or time of day.

Brandon

RipJawWolfFang 05-17-2009 11:42 PM

I see...
so the reason one is comeing up more then the other is merely coincidental?

Seapyramid 05-17-2009 11:52 PM

Yes.. basically. I have done one 50/50 and I got one of each on 2 adopts without having to change the DB... a member got 5 of the alts before getting the regular & another member tried for 9 days before she got the alt.

Missy Master 02-01-2010 02:39 PM

would there be a way to insert a code to make there be more than two alternates allowed? I am starting a site where I'd like to have maybe ten or so random images be possible to be picked for pets!

thanks!

Missy Master 02-01-2010 04:31 PM

ahh never mind, lol, I see on the FAQ where I ought to have looked first, there is no way right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annatar
would there be a way to insert a code to make there be more than two alternates allowed? I am starting a site where I'd like to have maybe ten or so random images be possible to be picked for pets!

thanks!

Quillink 02-01-2010 10:28 PM

Just while this topic's back on page one, I heard that mt_rand() is "truely" random, whereas rand() is not.

This is coming from someone who deals a lot with random chances on his php site, so I thought I'd put it out there. It certainly seams to be working with my finch pets!

Seapyramid 02-02-2010 01:49 PM

It is closer, but still not a "true" random. The closest thing to a true random available right now is a commercial script that runs about $800.00 That basically takes wind variance calulations into effect to create the random and it is said to still only be about 95% true.

Sea

Arianna 02-03-2010 11:20 AM

Urgh, that's sorta annoying. :P Perhaps mt_rand() could be used more in the script, even if it isn't perfect..?