Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Webmasters Area

Notices

Old 03-10-2012, 08:25 AM

Credits: 17,013
Kesstryl is on a distinguished road
Default Question about Comic Sans

I'm not sure where the appropriate place to ask this is, but I recently shared my art portfolio from my website on Facebook, and I got the comment that I should not be using comic sans. The person then directed me to this website in a private pm comicsanscriminal.com

I'm not sure I entirely agree (I agree that it is not appropriate for serious matter, but I was going for something storybook and fun), but I am open to comments and reasons. I'm also open to suggestions. I didn't want to use Ariel or one of the other plain web friendly fonts, however there might be something out there that might be more suited for what I'm going for.

My website: www.sonyaireland.com
Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 AM
The Grim One

Credits: 96,122
Tequila is on a distinguished road

For a portfolio I'd recommend visiting the Google Webfonts page, it's a copy and paste @import code into your CSS file. Otherwise Ban Comic Sans has a whole page of good fonts as well. ;3

I personally like the following on Google's Directory: Mystery Quest, Seaweed Script, Henny Penny. ;3
Old 03-10-2012, 05:07 PM

Credits: 17,013
Kesstryl is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input, I didn't realize there was such a movement against comic sans. I think in my case I didn't do anything wrong as I was going for something more fun and not so formal. I do see comic sans being inappropriate for serious sites or anything formal, but I don't see anything wrong with it when used for a more fun approach. I disagree that it looks like a child's handwriting, I just think it got a bad rep for being over-used in wrong situations. But if there's a whole movement against it, I guess I'll have to try something else. I hate conformity.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:20 PM
The Grim One

Credits: 96,122
Tequila is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah, the anti-Comic Sans movement has been around for years (I'm thinking 5-10, somewhere around there). I never used it (I prefer sans serif fonts as you'll see in designs for Crystal Hollow and Little Legend).
Old 03-11-2012, 05:53 AM

Credits: 11,230
Corsair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesstryl View Post
Thanks for the input, I didn't realize there was such a movement against comic sans. I think in my case I didn't do anything wrong as I was going for something more fun and not so formal. I do see comic sans being inappropriate for serious sites or anything formal, but I don't see anything wrong with it when used for a more fun approach. I disagree that it looks like a child's handwriting, I just think it got a bad rep for being over-used in wrong situations. But if there's a whole movement against it, I guess I'll have to try something else. I hate conformity.
Just do what you wanted to do. It's your site and some thing like font should not make a difference.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:27 PM

Credits: 10,542
Rozel

I play a game called s4 League, and in an update they changed almost all the fonts to Comic Sans. The community raged so much that they change it to another font.

Comic Sans just looks... silly to me. Not in a friendly, fun way. It also just feels old. But I don't mind it. I'd just never use it.