Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Other Chat

Notices

Old 02-19-2017, 06:01 PM

Credits: 11,230
Corsair is on a distinguished road
Default Personal ...rant?

So with my adoptable site I kind of hit a few rode blocks. My signup is messed up, I am trying to learn php, I am not happy with the original concept and I am very torn if I want to do pixel art or digital.

I really want to learn more php to really improve on ideas but the going is a bit slow. I have to admit php is a bit intimidating.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:50 PM
〈 ᴘʀᴀᴄᴛɪᴄɪɴɢ ᴀʀᴛɪsᴛ 〉

Credits: 7,447
Bexasaurus is on a distinguished road

OH MY GOODNESS I am in the same boat. In fact I'm trying to decide if I really am going to make a pet site on my own or find a friend to help me with it. It's extremely frustrating on trying to get started and even once you start you begin to run into obstacles that will cause you to just drop what you're doing and take a break for weeks before you go back on to deal with it.

Even doing this on my own is kind of disheartening since it's so...boring? I don't know, I just think collaborating with others and working on a project together would be more fun than working solo and doing all of the work yourself. (props to tabhikat who did the majority work on her site(s) mysgardia and beast summoners)

Just how???
Old 02-20-2017, 12:42 AM
Designer || Coder

Credits: 26,131
Silver_Brick is on a distinguished road

hi i have free time so i could help you both for fixing your errors and i can add pet profile also :)
Old 02-20-2017, 01:45 PM

Credits: 48,912
tahbikat is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks for the mention Bexa!

Working with mysidia was what got me started with PHP, and I don't even really know php to be honest. I managed to get really familiar with the code from fiddling with it so much that I could figure out some things. To make new features and improve upon features I mostly just copied the mods here or copied sections of mysidia's code and turned them into a new feature entirely.

It's not impossible to learn, it just takes a lot of time. If you're wanting to commit to learning code I would suggest enrolling in some online courses (there's free or really cheap ones out there) and/or buying php books. I actually own a PHP book I've referenced here and there. I could send it to you if you like? I hardly use/used it. But seriously don't underestimate taking a class or two. Someone who actually fixed a mysidia mod (cailyn's explore mod) told me he learned php from taking an online free class. Maybe I can fish up the messages I exchanged with him and find the link for you.

If you're not ready to commit to it, there's other things you could try. Starting a kickstarter wouldn't hurt, but if you want it to be successful you'll need to invest a lot of time into it. Showoff all the art you can, provide as much information and lore about the game as you can, and even show off website mockups if you know how to make those.

You could also try to find a coder (or someone willing to spend $$$ on a coder) to enter into a 50/50 partnership with. This might be a bit harder out of all three options and requires contracts and legal stuff. The rewards could be great though if you find someone you really enjoy working with.

I hope some of this helps and isn't meant to discourage or anything. I'm pretty terrible at giving advice.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:33 PM
〈 ᴘʀᴀᴄᴛɪᴄɪɴɢ ᴀʀᴛɪsᴛ 〉

Credits: 7,447
Bexasaurus is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for the offer Silver, but my issue has been fixed by HoF a while ago. Most of the time it's just me being on a creative block to actually work on the site.

Ahhh, Tahbikat!
Yes, I feel like the coding would be easy to learn it will just take time; however, being a senior in high school...it kind of hinders me from progressing the site since I'm just so mentally tired everyday (sometimes I'm physically tired too!).