Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Mysidia Adoptables > Questions and Supports

Notices

Old 03-29-2014, 10:00 PM

Credits: 12,414
LucasA33 is on a distinguished road
Default How easy would it be to incorporate phpbb with mysida?

I was looking at ways to bridge the two scripts, and wanted to know how I could get started and also how hard it would be since MyBB is not really good.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 03-30-2014, 05:47 AM
Premium Member

Credits: 20,609
MikiHeart

MyBB is user friendly. Not when you first look at the settings. But it really easy, compared to PhpBB which is more hands on and requires a bit of extra knowledge when it comes to some mods. I'm a PhpBB fan. So I get it.

Opinions aside. I think the only way to get a good bridge, or to have the Mysidia features incorporated in phpbb would be to pay someone to do. That way they will have to work out the bugs and provide support XD

Do NOT ask for help on the phpbb forum, they will tell you to post it in requests. Don't ask for paid work there, it's against the rules. Instead, work out your budget, and post a project on Freelancer.com
Old 03-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Administrator, Lead Coder

Credits: 334,105
Hall of Famer is on a distinguished road

It should be quite similar to MyBB, if you have intermediate PHP skills it should be easy enough to accomplish. The hint is to make sure you insert a row in both user tables for adoptables and forum database, this is what we call synchronization.

Mysidia Adoptables, a free and ever-improving script for aspiring adoptables/pets site.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:14 AM
Premium Member

MikiHeart

It's not as simple as that though o-o
You still need to make it so that the tables update on both sides when edited, and then there's the cookies. Don't forget about the cookies..
Old 04-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

Credits: 88,439
Kyttias is on a distinguished road

Right now the integration with MyBB doesn't even carry over avatars, making even having them on the Mysidia side slightly pointless.

I also want PHPBB, preferably version 2, not 3, just because there's a decade of old mods I'm familiar with and would love to integrate (NulAvatar, Advanced Dungeons and Rabbits, etc). But... it's more a matter of integrating Mysidia with PHPBB, not PHPBB with Mysidia. There are hundreds and hundreds of tables, and log in status is the least of my concerns when I want access to the full range of PHPBB features.

The current way of adapting Mysidia to MyBB is just to remove registration from MyBB and have users register through Mysidia. I'd rather remove registration from Mysidia and have users register and log in through the forum, be that MyBB or PHPBB.

And to that end... I've given up on it, personally. But by all means, it should be possible... I just have other things on my to-do list.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:38 AM
Premium Member

MikiHeart

Kyttias - I understand you completely. But don't use phpbb2. I have all the old mods too, and I'm very tempted to use them as well. But it's not a good idea. Phpbb2 isn't secure. Unless you have an experienced programmer who can update it, make it stronger, there's no point in trying. One day it's just going to break, due to php changing all the time.

Not to mention nulavatar has so many faults and issues. I can say this first hand, because I ran a site with it back in the day.

You really are better of paying someone to just code it for you. I had a coder over on VPL who was willing to code stuff for me. The avatar system was the cheapest, being only 150. Due to the other prices of the features I needed, I had to think twice. (Username was Lyro)
Old 04-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Squiggling since 1995

Credits: 8,205
squiggler is on a distinguished road

Personally, this whole thing is why I have two separate sites. I'll put them on the same domain at some point, but it'll only be a cosmetic connection.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:04 PM

Credits: 4,335
Zyraph is on a distinguished road

Integration with phpBB3 is possible, but will be a lot more possible once 1.4 rolls out. The other thing is, phpBB is also very close to releasing an update of their own which is version 3.1. They are in Beta 2 at the moment of this posting (they're pushing updates rapidly now).

The trouble is, with both the forum software and Mysidia having updates in the near future, it's very hard to figure out which one to try to bridge as a source first. For some people, they installed Mysidia first, while others installed the forum software first. It's a classic case of the chicken or the egg first, and neither result is pretty, at least at the moment.

Once phpBB hits 3.1 and Mysidia hits 1.4, I think then we can safely say that we can work on some sort of bridge between the two. Until that time, however, development should be concentrated on each one separately.

Also, really, you shouldn't be using phpBB2. It's not just a question of security. It's also a question of long-term support, and soon PHP 5.3 will be the standard. As phpBB2 was not built for 5.3, the forums will eventually break entirely, so it's highly recommended that you upgrade to phpBB3 as soon as you can, because it's not just the MODs that won't work at that point.

For the record though, I'll probably not bother with a bridge between those two. What I'll be doing is having OctoberCMS take over registration, and then creating a single sign-on portion that will actually allow for an account to be generated on both Mysidia and phpBB just by registering through October. Which will be interesting, really...this will be my first time really getting my hands dirty with PHP, so I'll need to work extra hard at it :3