Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Creative Discussion > Art Gallery

Notices

Old 04-08-2014, 06:30 AM

Credits: 48,893
tahbikat is on a distinguished road
Default Relic Town Map

Oh god... I stayed up all night doing this map. Tomorrow is going to be a hard day. :P

Anyways, here's the map I've done for the town in Mysgardia called Relic Town. ^^

This is my first time doing a town like this. I got a lot of inspiration from other artists because I had no idea how to make houses and such. It very much has a pokemon style to it, but that's what I was going for because I love that style. c:

I plan on adding a bit more like a sign that says Relic Town. Maybe a fountain and a statue or two. Maybe even some common creatures of Mysgardia and some teeny tiny shop people. I also plan on adding different buildings like a Bank, Shelter, Daycare, more houses (possibly quest houses?), etc.

It'd be so awesome if I could make it into a game where users could walk around and interact with each other and the houses, but that will be a ways off if at even possible. :P For now, it's just going to be turned into an image map. The shops and houses will be clickable and link to their various pages.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

Credits: 86,929
Kyttias is on a distinguished road

If you have interest, you should check out the base assets provided for modification during the Liberated Pixel Cup that was held in 2012 by OpenGameArt.org. The contest was done to help create open source art assets for game developers to make demos with - all entries can be used for free, even in commercial projects, so long as attribution is given (but you'll have to view the text files and licensing info for official details). Here are the base assets from the competition to check out (there's also a page where you can view them without downloading them, if you want to view them out first). And here are just the terrain tiles in case you only want those. The rest of the site also has general game assets that are free to use (under varying licenses) and entries from the contest based on the assets provided above can be found, too. ^^

Just thought it might be useful for future endeavors! These tiles are all around larger than Pokemon-style ones, however. If you ever find yourself working with tilesheets, rather than working by hand, I recommend a free program called Tiled to make things easier.

It is, of course, most awesome that you've made your art yourself! But perhaps these resources could still be helpful/inspirational.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:43 PM

Thanks Kyttias, I'll check that stuff out! <3

I do have a question. How would I go about adding information onto the map when a user hovers over a building or certain area? Like this:

When hovered over a building, person, area, etc, that box will pop up with information. Basically a tooltip. The user could then click the building/etc to go to the specified page. GIMP has a feature that lets me make my image into an image map with different clickable areas, and gives me the source code, but I don't know how to add information when hovered.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:02 AM
Premium Member

Credits: 86,929
Kyttias is on a distinguished road

Ordinarily I'd suggest jQuery because I'm jQuery-happy, but I think this can be achieved with pure CSS.

After some digging, Hint.css might do the trick. It even comes at the luxury of being hosted via CDN here, so all you have to do is link to it, then follow the instructions on their site for implementation:
Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="//cdn.jsdelivr.net/hint.css/1.3.0/hint.min.css">
A jQuery alternative such as Tooltipster is more powerful, if you're interested in some beefier tooltips. It's also hosted via CDN at this link, if you don't want to host the files yourself.

(If you're curious as to the benefits of using a CDN versus hosting files like this yourself, you can give this a read, or Google around.)

(For further tooltip alternatives try searching up 'tooltip libaries' or 'tooltip plugins'. Real quick I also found this list toting to be the Top 10 Best jQuery Tooltip Plugins.)

Let me know if you need some more specific help! If you want a more DIY method of tooltips, it's basically done via CSS with the :hover psuedo-class. It wouldn't hard to write something up yourself if you'll only be using it a small handful of times.

Last edited by Kyttias; 04-09-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:25 PM

Thanks a lot Kyttias! I'll check it all out! <3

EDIT: Tried the CSS one but it didn't work. The JQuery one is working flawlessly though and exactly what I needed. Thanks so much! c:

Last edited by tahbikat; 04-09-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:55 PM

Credits: 19,255
IntoRain is on a distinguished road

Oh my these look really nice :o I always liked little towns, but I loved this one a lot!

asp.net stole my soul.