Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Adoptables Buzz

Notices

Old 04-23-2015, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

Credits: 86,967
Kyttias is on a distinguished road

Whew, I've had a lot of really lengthy, wordy posts lately. How about some art, while I catch my breath?
This is a Buirel ("byoo-rel"):

Buirel are telepathic cave-dwellers who use the crystals on their body to amplify their "voice". They willing give crystals of theirs away to their closest friends so that they can communicate with them no matter the distance. However, if all of their crystals were stolen, they would be forever rendered mute to those around them!

The species-specific trait for Buirel are additional crystals, more pronounced toes, and fluffy antennae. This is a Buirel with it's species-specific traits, a luxury tail, and wings:

And here's a preview of the full color range (for all pets), minus any additional features other than the body itself. (With one exception, of course - the white one is meant to be albino and it's body will not be so dark on this species!)

Below, w/Stardust genetics and a next stage concept.

Last edited by Kyttias; 07-07-2015 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:57 AM
Pet-Sim.Online

Credits: 44,518
Missy Master is an unknown quantity at this point

ajksjhdfhsdgdgssd CUUUUUUTE! Love them !!!!
Old 04-24-2015, 04:24 PM
A Headache Embodied

Credits: 111,682
Abronsyth is on a distinguished road

Buirel is so adorable! You have me so excited for your site XD
Old 04-24-2015, 08:18 PM
ChibiFur Queen

Credits: 3,685
AndromedaKerova is on a distinguished road

Oh my! Its a gemstone rabbit/sheep thingy! I LOVE it! I'm really eager for your site to get released. Its going to be awesome.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

Thanks guys! It's quite a process designing things. I'm trying to make something more appealing to boys while still having the 'cute' vibe. Still working out some bugs, so this is far from final:

I'm also working on sprucing up the PM System:

However, I wanted it so the link to read mail was the message's title, and I'd like it to be in bold if unread. I spoke with HoF earlier tonight and, unfortunately, with the current system this isn't possible. He's going to look it over and get back to me (which saves me the time of effort). Luckily, I'm confident I could figure it out another way to pull the data, if he gets too distracted or forgets. (But I'm happy for the free time to go play WoW instead.)

If HoF does get around to doing this quick fix for me, I'll return the favor to the community and share a spiffed up layout of the PM system and point out where you guys can spruce some of the default system messages that get sent. (For example, rather than telling someone to go view their friend requests or check their trade offers, to actually link to those things.)
Old 04-27-2015, 10:00 AM
Explorer of Imaginea

Credits: 5,472
cailynmae is on a distinguished road

Aww, it's an adorable elephant-dragon thing! It seems like one of the weird creatures that might pop up in my dreams. How interesting and cute!
Old 04-30-2015, 03:33 AM
ChibiFur Queen

Credits: 3,685
AndromedaKerova is on a distinguished road

That creature does indeed look like some kind of elephant/dragon.
To me it looks like it could have been a real creature some time long in the past. Like a prehistoric elephant ancestor.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:04 AM
Premium Member

I've been terribly busy lately but I managed to get something awesome done tonight. In summary:

- Modified the htaccess file and created a directory that doesn't redirect to the index.

- Files in this directory -can- access the mysidia framework if I want them to. Or, they can also not, if I need them to.

- I needed them to NOT access the framework while generating images with GD, because for some reason, the class initializing process was screwing it up. All I really needed access to was the database so I wrote up a new connection. Not efficient, no, but works great in this case.

- So, generated some images with GD. I stacked fifteen or so layers of images while preserving the alpha/opacity/transparency. I can also resize them on the fly. The image files I'm layering correspond with information stored in the database about the pets color, species, gender, and other genetics, etc. I only send two queries to this file, the aid and a size. The header for this php file is made to ~think~ its an image, and that's part of the reason why the framework files were mucking with it, I think?

- I messed with the htaccess file some more to make the php file name go from being novu/render.php?aid=10&size=200 to ~looking~ like its an image file at /novu10_200px.png and if you rightclick to save the file, this is exactly what it saves as. If you view the image in a standalone tab it works just fine, which means you can link it to anyone freely. Changing the parameters for the aid and the size means easy display of any pet with complete freedom.

- Now all the pet images on my site act like fully functional real images. I'm friggin' excited about this!

I don't feel like writing up an exact tutorial because this'll give my site a bit of an edge on sites even as big as Lioden. So, naturally, if you want this sort of thing, hope you have a couple hundred dollars to convince me, aha...

But I will link this awesome Mod Rewrite generator for the htaccess file - it definitely saved me time modifying that file!

edit: I can now generate colors by tinting a grayscale image by sliding RGB values around using PHP. This greatly reduces the number of image files I'm required to both manually save and then reference. I can also finally have tinted lines, something I didn't want to bog myself down with before. And, since I don't think I re-announced it, here's my official color palette as of recently - with color names:

And these are just some of the possibilities I have done so far!

Last edited by Kyttias; 06-02-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

Today I've been working on prototyping how I want 'play' to be like!

Or here for a live preview.

I hope I can at least get some noises and heart/other reaction bubbles up by the end of the week. I'd also like to looking make more complex touch reactions such as 'petting' via a swipe-like gesture and 'scratching' via a fast back and forth motion. I'd like all of this to be as compatible as possible with touch devices, of course!

My vague plan of action is to have five actions the pet 'wants' to do. You'll get a bonus point for each one you do at the correct time. Do them all in the correct order and you'll get all five bonus points! This means more currency for you and more happiness and experience (to level up with) for your pet.

This set of five actions will be unique for each and every individual pet and it will never change. Get to know each of your pets well and you'll always know just how to make them the happiest! It may take several days worth of tries to figure out just what your pet likes, but they'll appreciate the effort.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

Here to day with a 'minor' yet groundbreaking update for me. I officially figured out why AJAX calls from Javascript don't get along with the Mysidia framework. Because PHP and Javascript are two very different languages, communication between them must be precise. The PHP file an AJAX call is directed to must only render the exact data you're looking for - usually with echo - and it can be HTML or an object (or array) rendered as plain text, which will be converted into a format Javascript can use. It must not render anything else!

In the Mysidia framework, everything is routed through the index using mod_rewrite in the .htaccess file - for good reason, of course, we don't want people accessing files they aren't supposed to! But this meant that whenever I made an AJAX call to a PHP file, the HTML of the entire index page, that is, the entire page template, also rendered out, not just what I had echoed! My solution was this: Create a new folder inside the Mysidia directory, and remove the mod_rewrite rule from it with a new .htaccess file stored inside it. I named this folder "ajax" and I'll store all my AJAX-related PHP files inside of it. The .htaccess file I made inside it only has one line:

Code:
RewriteEngine Off
Problem solved.

Okay, so, why AJAX? Why go through all that trouble? Well... magic. Magic is why.

With AJAX, you can avoid the additional page load caused by regular form submission. This is more significant than it sounds. As a prototype example, below is what is known as a "live" search - you don't have to press Enter or click any search button - and results will automatically be recommended to you. (To spare the server database some load, the query is only sent off through AJAX after there's more than 3 characters in the search box AND 500ms have passed since the last key pressed came up.) This is using real data from my 'adopts_items' table:

Alright, probably impractical to search for items this way, right? But what if you forgot a user's name and wanted to send off a PM? Just start typing, and AJAX will find you close matches. Why bother reloading the page with a form submission just to check if a username is typed correctly? Or worse, typing the whole message only to get an error that the user you're trying to send it to doesn't even exist because you typed it in wrong? And now your entire message is gone! Snap. AJAX to the rescue, see? That'd be a better example, but I just don't have users in my database to show that off effectively, lol~

But, speaking of searching for items, I decided to go ahead and rewrite the existing item search that came with Mysidia with an AJAX solution. In addition to removing the need for a page reload that a traditional form submission would require, I also made it so an empty search still returned results (sorted by 'category'). For an extra dose of improvement, I implemented a Javascript plugin called "Stupid Table" that allows results to be sorted client-side, both alphabetically (item name) and numerically (price).

First, I'll show the default item search on a fresh install. Keep watching and I'll reveal mine:

There are some differences between mine and the original item search. I don't include options to search by store or to limit the price, for example. (But this comes down to personal preference and how I want my site.) I also have a column in my database for an item's "rarity" - which is shown by the color of the text used for the item's name. Rarity will usually denote the strength of an item, how much it costs, or how difficult it is to obtain.

Anyway, that's all for now!

If anyone has AJAX-related questions I can probably answer them now, aha... I'm willing to share the files for the first example I gave if you want to have a look, too.

On a final note, since my Novu are so custom, I've had to create my own pet search for them, as well:

Last edited by Kyttias; 07-13-2015 at 12:29 AM.