Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Mysidia Adoptables > Questions and Supports

Notices

Old 02-23-2015, 10:02 AM

Credits: 1,634
Ozeuth is on a distinguished road
Default Adding Forum directly to the Adoptables site

Hey guys,
I have a bit of a question regarding my adoptables site, Krene: http://krene.byethost7.com/index I would like to build a forum inside the site itself (Without directing it to an outside forum via a link or adding a widget)

My idea was to build the forum in a page which is accessed by clicking "Community".

1. However, to give it prominence as a key feature of the site as opposed to a minor area, I want to make the sequence of the link parents displayed be "Home, Community, Adoptables, User CP, Explore". I noticed though that I can't do any editing to the link parents themselves or move their positions around.

2. Secondly, I'm not sure how to make a forum that is accessible upon clicking "community". Is this even possible? D: I imagine it'd involve alot of coding but I was hoping a script was already available for it.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

Credits: 87,993
Kyttias is on a distinguished road

If the AdminCP doesn't give you enough control over the links, check out where the links are stored in the MySQL database itself, in the adopts_links table.

The column linktext is the name of the link. The column linkurl is the page that the link will go to. By default, all top level parent links redirect to the index of the site (yoursite.com/index). The column linkparent as more to do with the links below the parent links. This tells the links on the drop downs which parent they should be under. These numbers correspond with the id column (look to the left, its one of the first columns). Lastly there's linkorder. These are done by tens, with lower numbers coming first (and thus showing up first, if you're reading left to right).

So, in short - rename the linktext whatever you want. Change the linkurl to whatever you want. Rearrange the order however you want.

If you want a forum, MyBB is compatible and can be integrated. This should be done before ANY members other than the Admin are added, so logins correspond correctly - and this is what I mean by compatible - logging into your main site will log you into your forum, and logging in is disabled on the forum side. No separate log in. All you have to do from there is make your forum theme match your main site.

First of all, make sure you have both fresh installation of Mysidia Adoptables and MyBB forum. Open the file /inc/config_forums.php, enter each empty field for the database info of your MyBB forum. Then Change the variable mybbenabled from 0 to 1. The very last step is to disable registration on the forum. It is all said and done, new users will have accounts created from both the adoptables site and the forum from now on. In Mys v1.3.4 they also log into site and forum accounts simultaneously! The forum stats is automatically updated whenever a new registration is completed, so there is no need for admins to update forum stats in ACP from now on. Note the forum integration has been upgraded and thus it should work with the latest version of MyBB.

As a final step, inside the MyBB installation, the .htaccess file it comes with is incorrectly named htaccess.txt - rename this to .htaccess. (If you have trouble renaming this, perhaps this article can help?)

Last edited by Kyttias; 02-23-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:28 AM

Credits: 1,634
Ozeuth is on a distinguished road

Thanks Kyttias! I'm not sure if I got it right, but I followed your steps and everything seems to be great. I feel as if everything is slowly beginning to work now, I had such a headache before when I was using forum widgets instead. Thanks again for your help!