Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Creative Discussion > Programming and Game Development

Notices

Old 02-28-2016, 06:50 PM

Credits: 48,905
tahbikat is on a distinguished road
Default Allowing access of site to coder?

I have a programmer interested in building a feature for my site, but I need advice on how to go about this.

Do I give them a backup copy of my site to build features on, then just get them to give me the files to upload on my actual site? Would that work?

Or should I give them FTP access?

Orrr... something else? Advice highly appreciated!
Old 02-28-2016, 10:19 PM
Premium Member

Credits: 86,958
Kyttias is on a distinguished road

Tbh, I have no clue what the standard procedure for this is. I'd probably provide them with a back up and have them use a WAMP stack or similar to test their updates. If they don't know how to use WAMP or a similar non-public-facing server, they aren't worth their salt, anyway (wherever they want to develop is fine, just not live on your site).

It's typical for web administrators that are programmers to only work on a backup copy of their site and NEVER go live with an update until it's 100% working - and because of that, asking them to work non-live for security reasons shouldn't be a big deal. You'd hate for shoddy coding to go through to a live environment, right?
Old 02-29-2016, 12:10 AM

Credits: 48,905
tahbikat is on a distinguished road

Thanks Kyttias. (: Went ahead and sent them a backup, so we'll see how things go!
Old 02-29-2016, 03:35 PM

Credits: 7,434
FounderSim is on a distinguished road

As a freelancer, I require FTP access and phpMyAdmin from all my clients. I do this for various reasons.

#1: If a client don't know how to send me a copy of database and files, I can easily download it all myself instead of going threw the hassle of explaining to someone how to do it.

#2: I can upload the new files and apply changes to DataBase when finished without having to explain how to do it. I also know I am fully responsible after uploading the new files/changes if something does not work correctly. I can not blame the person for not uploading or making incorrect changes to database.

#3: There is also this issue. If the person does know how to backup files and copy database and apply database changes and reupload files easily. There is still a time delay which means I have to wait for the client to apply changes. Some instances where a bug occurred and I have was not around asap to fix the issue. (figure out if a Server config issue, improper changes, what caused bug). I have had a problem a few times where they did not make there own back-up anymore so there site went down for a few hours. Once a few day(vacation).

There is a issue though, a lot of people don't like handling over there passwords like that. However; I am lucky enough to have built up a decent reputation where most people have no issues handing over there password to there FTP and cPanel.

I feel like having access is more convenient. I do however work locally. Send updates to the client (previews). Code to show its a real update.

I been freelancing a long time and have seen a lot of weird things.

-Bill
Old 03-05-2017, 11:45 PM

Credits: 1,231
blue is on a distinguished road

Small world, Sim...