Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Mysidia Adoptables > Suggestions and Feature Requests

Notices

Old 01-27-2014, 07:16 AM
Administrator, Lead Coder

Credits: 327,332
Hall of Famer is on a distinguished road

umm CSS/HTML for profiles? You are talking about something like profile customization you see from VBulletin forums?

Mysidia Adoptables, a free and ever-improving script for aspiring adoptables/pets site.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:17 PM

Credits: 19,255
IntoRain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clessidra View Post
Never did understand the point of plugins being made by the staff and not the community. o_o;
Not many people I've seen around here know how to program and when they do or when they learn, they use those ideas on their websites or simply don't know how to explain properly xD Like I don't share mine because I don't use the admincp, I edit stuff directly on the code or database, which makes it harder for people to maintain I guess

asp.net stole my soul.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Administrator, Lead Coder

Credits: 327,332
Hall of Famer is on a distinguished road

Actually technically are two types of plugins: Addons and Mods. The former(addons) requires essentially no modification of existing files and only add hooks to the program flow. This is the ideal way a plugin system works, since addons survive even after you upgrade your site with the upgrader script.

The latter(mods) are quite self-explanatory, it requires you to either edit part of the script files yourself or if you have fresh installation or barely modified script, just download the provided files to overwrite the old ones. They are easier to make, but can be problematic to upgrade once a core script file is modified in a new release. At this stage all Mysidia plugins are mods, although in future I'm thinking about designing an advanced plugin/hook system to make addons possible.

So whats the point? All current Mysidia mods require modification of existing files, so users are always using them for their own risks. There's little difference if your mods come with ACP integration or not. I definitely recommend you to share your mods if you dont mind, users will appreciate them. Also it may gain you a premium membership if your contribution is significant.

Mysidia Adoptables, a free and ever-improving script for aspiring adoptables/pets site.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:02 PM

Credits: 19,255
IntoRain is on a distinguished road

What I meant is that I think it makes it harder for people to maintain the code and adapt it (modify values and the like) without acp integration - a nice menu with all the options already shown to you to update values is less likely to screw up a certain page on the site than having to mess with the code or database itself xD

Yeah, after exams, I will try to adapt some of my mods to 1.3.4 and post them since most users are going for that now (I don't think I understand how the setField() and getField() work very well yet, I understand it's all in a hash table, but still figuring it out)

asp.net stole my soul.