Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Webmasters Area

Notices

View Poll Results: what shal i do ??
only freehosting 0 0%
only forum hositng 0 0%
freehosting and forum hositng 1 20.00%
freehosting whit website mod 0 0%
freehosting and website mod on 2 domains 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2008, 11:29 AM
WebMaster

Credits: 10,126
powerchaos
Send a message via AIM to powerchaos Send a message via MSN to powerchaos
Default The Choise betwean forums and free

hey all

i got a hard choise to make , and why is it hard ?? becouse its just hard to make the choise (i want everything but ... hard to explain becouse its complicated)

so , now i aim doin for a little time mutli forum hosting

now the first problem i got and that i always will have in the beginning are members (i got 6 members now , a couple from here and some from my msn )

now the problem , i started again whit offering freehosting becouse it seems that more persones want to have a freehost then a forum

so i need to make a choise , what shal i keep and what shal i do ??

shal i keep the multi forums (the 6 multi forums i got )
or shal i start again whit a p2h forum and the instand website mod of bmr ??

i use now powerchaos.co.cc for the mybb mod ( sub ) and the total of members is extreme low ( 0 ) and on the freehost is it 6 so that makes a total of .... forums = 0 , hositng = 6

see why it is hard for me to make a choise ??

so if you guys could help me whit choosing then it would be a great help for me :)

(some text is missing here becouse i dont know what els to say)

Greets From The Crasher

*edit* the poll will only stay avaible for 5 days *edit*
Old 09-05-2008, 11:55 AM

Credits: 10,724
BMR777 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: The Choise betwean forums and free

You can still do both I think. Getting members at first will be hard, but eventually you will build up a user base.

I would also recommend that you work on polishing up your website and support forums. Maybe consider getting a website template and customize that. Your main goal should be to have the site look professional because if it does not look professional people will not want to host with you because they will think that you are not reliable.

I think too you should consider getting a more professional name for your hosting site. For instance, powerchaos.info is ok, but if you mention it to someone what is the first thing they think of? For your website hosting try and get a name that has to relate to websites, like myfreewebsite.com or yourfreesite.com or makeasite.com or ezsite.com or something like that where people see it and they know instantly what you are offering. Also, DO NOT use a co.cc domain as people will think you are cheap / unreliable.

These are just my thoughts. ;)

BMR777
Old 09-05-2008, 12:50 PM
WebMaster

powerchaos

hmm , not a bad idea , next year i use dehost.org as my main website instead of powerchaos.info

powerchaos.info was my first website i ever had to start creating a own unic website ( long time ago ^^ )

now when dehost.org comes back availbe to host then i will use that again to make the perfect site ^^ and then i can use powerchaos.info to host as a second sub domain (the choose of 2 domain names is always intresting :) )

powerchaos.co.cc is just to host everything on (sub forum hositng ) becouse i dont got a other domain name (and dont want to spend money on it yet if i cant use it , if you get what i mean ?? )

every thing is hard in the beginning like you say

there was a persone that told me that the domain name doesnt mather (and it doesnt , if you see your domain name ^^ )
the point that makes it intresting is what you post on it and depending what you post on it makes it famous

its easyer to get more members whit a domain name that get you to it (like dehost = dutch for Thehost )
but the point i meaned was
i got trouble whit choosing what i want to do , i want to do that many but i cant do it all

the multi forum gives me trouble whit managing every forum and checking it every time (its a hard job whit 6 differend forums on 6 differend places and 6 differend ways to login .. and 6 differend usernames and so on )

like i posted on the other topic , if i can get the mutli install , then i know what i goin choose and goin start again whit freehosting whit the multi install only ( 2 things in 1 thing )

now i aim doin freehosting to whit custom offers (something unic that no other host do becouse its hard to desice to make it fair but it helps ^^ )

i started whit freehosting whit cp creator , but it failt (host offline , suspended .. and so on, my bad host )
after i transfered i started p2h but every 1 refuse to p2h becouse .. to less to offer and its irritating to p2h before you get hositng (whit ads becouse otherwhise i aim nothing whit it )

now i started whit the forum hosting but i saw the problems already that i got , every1 want a other forum and every1 want to get ' support' over the forum , or they just create a forum and they leave it that way and so on ... so that doesnt works eather if i can see it on my way

so , i dont know where to choose from , the only thing that seems to work is giving hosting , but even that is getting big trouble (no offence to oceanlove)

some of then want to host but dont know anyhting of it , so you get a lot of trouble whit it becouse you want to give support to the members you got but its a hard job to do when it is even easyer if you just do it for him (thats why the cms is good for :P )

so , it makes everything toghether to make the hard part to choose what you want to have and want to do

its a lot of explanation i aim doin now , but i just try to explain my problem i got as host and whit choosing my product i want

if i see to you brm , then i know that you got trouble to , but you got only the forum and the script (thats your product and it works for you )

so , i hope you can follow a little what i mean ??

it is hard for me to explain it becouse its a lot to explain , and thats what i mean that i want to do everything and cant do anyhting

i got a second website to (http://dehost.org) and its just meaned for video's and for my music (or if some1 want to upload some music )

i hope you can get what i try to say :S and why it is that hard to choose

Greets From The Crasher
(pfew that was a long post :P hopely is it seo written :P )
Old 09-05-2008, 12:57 PM

I know what you mean. When I first started I wanted to host everything too, but that didn't really work out at first. When I did blog hosting on my site it actually got hacked, which is when I decided to stick with free forums.

The key is finding a niche and delivering a superior service. Also, you need to stick with it. My site is finally doing well after almost 4 years, but it wasn't like that in the beginning. :)

Best of luck,
Brandon
Old 09-06-2008, 01:49 AM

Credits: 5,699
OceanLove

Continue as voted. BMR is right.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:22 PM

Credits: 2,826
lupus6x9

I agree with a lot of what BMR said.

1. I'm sorry, but your Web site doesn't look like a hosting provider. When I google "hosting," the first (sponsored) result is a very Web 2.0 look-and-feel: http://www.peer1.com/hosting/ . It's extremely clean, white, shiny, rounded, and visual. And everything has excellent spelling and grammar. To some people that's boring, but it's also easy on the eyes and it looks professional--and professional is how you want to look when you're providing hosting, not cool. You want a nice, consistent, clean look, and that's not really what you have right now. Sorry.

2. He was also right on domains, because I think that they do count. WebRingAmerica.com may not be the best domain out there, but it's at least about Web hosting. PowerChaos is you in a sense, but it's got nothing to do with what you offer. And, unfortunately, .info domains don't say much. Besides, freemybb.com forwards to webringamerica.com, and that's a good domain. If you want to incorporate your name, maybe you want a domain like crasherhost.com or something. I don't know.

3. You might only need one domain. If you could get the scripts to cooperate and all check for existing subdomains (or modify them to do so): Just offer hosting like this:
SITE_NAME.domain.com
with a subdomain. SITE_NAME could be a phpBB forum, MyBB forum, punBB forum, whatever, ... or a free hosted Web site.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:35 PM
WebMaster

powerchaos

the problem was , before i started i used a freehost for my clan

i cant create web designs ( i use templates , and so on )

if you want to see a fully complete own created website (whit the help of a program : S) then see to powerchaos.info/fun (my first website ever )

as soon the year is over whit my other host ( dehost.org) then i can buy the domain name (becouse its expired then ) and then i can use it on my server to put there my main on (dehost.org have something to do whit hosting :P)

then i can use powerchaos.info for freehosting ( subs ) and then it dont need a homepage anymore on powerchaos.info

the problem i got is that i cant choose betwean what i want and what the clients want :S (its always a big problem )

i got some hositng templates left (specialy for hosting) but i dont got info to fill up the nasty spaces that need to have info or i need to put some crap in it to let it looks that it is filled when i need to write 7X the same thing (on differends ways )

so , thats why i took that easy and simple design , easy to edit and easy to change (it looks better in firefox becouse it doesnt center the tables in internet explplorer )

from the moment i got a final desision of what i want to do ( and i think i got 1 ^^ the cms whit mybb forum if posseble )
then i can start to let some1 work on a nice template from me (i got some friends that want to help me , here is a website of him : http://www.topgfx.com)

ok , to go back ontopic

your right that the powerchaos.info name is me ^^ but thats becouse i wanted to start a own website whitout thinking of what i wanted to do (then you dont think over a domain name, you just choose 1 that cames up in your head )
then after i got it about 1 month and i learned to know a few persones that do hosting , then i started to buy a master reseller for my own (whit free domain name , dehost.org was it then becouse then i was thinking about hosting )
after a time , a month , then i saw that it doesnt works like it need to be whit my host (some explanation are here on the forum ) so i was forced to choose a other host

the host i got now doesnt provide a free domain name
so i got only 1 domain name left that i can use and that was Powerchaos.info :)

ok , it was a long text , but i hope it explains a lot of stuff over the choosing of the name and the simple (messy) template :)

Greets From The Crasher
Old 09-07-2008, 03:43 PM

For web templates you may want to check out these sites:

http://templates.arcsin.se/
http://www.oswd.org/

All free, Open Source / Creative Commons templates. Just change the text and links and that's all you need to do. You can even do in Notepad. :)

BMR777
Old 09-07-2008, 07:37 PM

Credits: 2,826
lupus6x9

I recommend www.styleshout.com personally.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:21 AM

Credits: 5,699
OceanLove

Wow.. From the choice of powerchaos to web templates.. But yes, powerchaos, when I first visited your site, I don't find it like a free hoster, instead like a own website for fun..