Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Creative Discussion > Programming and Game Development

Notices

Old 04-20-2013, 12:45 AM

Credits: 4,846
bobbybig is on a distinguished road
Default Bobby in code creativity (prt 1)

So you got to ask yourself what this seemly new guy showing up here has some sprites and knows a bit of temple code and art design for temples; what might he know about other areas.

Well this does seem like a general game development area, and if this is the wrong place for me to post this I do apologize in advance and welcome the topic move to where it will do the most good.

I have been following this code source intently for the past few years from its humble and creative beginnings to its more progressive and improved state that it is today.

I have been toying with a bit of code that I wanted to implement on my own site, but I also wanted to be able to easily shoe horn this code into any site without all the php page changes and class file maneuvering. I didn't even want any database injection to need to go on.

Now I am reluctant to say just exactly what this little pet project has been but here I am and here I am prepping this text to post so I had better say something witty to make it worth your read time.

I am working on a site map layout and by "map" I mean the truest form of the word in a gaming site environment. We are talking treasure map with all the bells and whistles from links to pop up menus and direction. I am going to incase the whole thing in a js drop down from the top of the site, and if not too much trouble a menu link to free standing page. (using template features).

It might have been tried or talked about here before, or maybe even done and done well. I am not sure. It is not a topic I have seen any talk on, but I am less than a week away from beta tests of it, and I must say that I am excited at the progress I have made towards its completion.

just a little bit more creativity and my eye to detail and I will be rolling out a demo in my next template I release.

I hope someone will be interested in this kind of project.

sample of the map for testing. image is 50% actual size

click and hover over menu math done 04-21-2013

Last edited by bobbybig; 04-21-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: added menu sample pic
Old 04-20-2013, 04:02 AM

Credits: 2,198
Cremuex Levier is on a distinguished road

Wow, that sounds really impressive. I look forward to seeing the map and seeing how it works in practice.

I'd love to see your site too, so if you ever need some members just for the numbers or just to have a poke around the site, I'm all in for it. All your stuff so far has been great.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:11 AM

Credits: 22,688
Ruinily is on a distinguished road

:o I'm a little curious about how the js is going to work... I made an interactive map with html, but that was an absolute pain... lol I'm still uploading and re-coding half of the content. At the moment its still hosted on the old forum connected to my old site, which mysteriously disappeared one day thanks to x10 hosting... But I intend on moving the coding over once I have everything working. ^_^ But if it helps anyone you can take a look at it, as Famer knows I have a personal vendetta against drop down menus since they always get in my way, lol! But I'm interested to see how your layout and coding will work. ^_^ I was intending on making a bigger 'dimensional' map for my site that would have a sort of popup window in the corner detailing the place they were scrolling over, but thats kind of been put on the back burner now... And I've always wanted to have a go at Flash, but I think i'd need a lot of help or time to get my head around it. >.<' Anyway I'm interested in how you put it together, and a gaming site. :D

My map if it helps.
http://felkyo.darkbb.com/h5-loreuna-town-map
(You can click on places, but some I havent made yet, some are still in the old site format, and none of the links to pets will work lol...)

Chocolate butterfly cat pudding. o.o

And since even the programming on this forum doesnt like me anymore heres my sites address. XD
http://felkyocreatures.com/index.php
Old 04-20-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremuex Levier View Post
Wow, that sounds really impressive. I look forward to seeing the map and seeing how it works in practice.

I'd love to see your site too, so if you ever need some members just for the numbers or just to have a poke around the site, I'm all in for it. All your stuff so far has been great.
You are very welcome to check out my site I at the moment have one of the themes I made for this site as the theme there and the others you can see demo by changing the theme of the site, but I will be progressing the layout for the main site itself. I do not have the map up there yep. I am developing it elsewhere to not mess with my guys who are there on the adoption site.

http://steambots.lazygamerz.com

there's the url and thank you for your interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinily View Post
:o I'm a little curious about how the js is going to work... I made an interactive map with html, but that was an absolute pain... lol I'm still uploading and re-coding half of the content. At the moment its still hosted on the old forum connected to my old site, which mysteriously disappeared one day thanks to x10 hosting... But I intend on moving the coding over once I have everything working. ^_^ But if it helps anyone you can take a look at it, as Famer knows I have a personal vendetta against drop down menus since they always get in my way, lol! But I'm interested to see how your layout and coding will work. ^_^ I was intending on making a bigger 'dimensional' map for my site that would have a sort of popup window in the corner detailing the place they were scrolling over, but thats kind of been put on the back burner now... And I've always wanted to have a go at Flash, but I think i'd need a lot of help or time to get my head around it. >.<' Anyway I'm interested in how you put it together, and a gaming site. :D

My map if it helps.
http://felkyo.darkbb.com/h5-loreuna-town-map
(You can click on places, but some I havent made yet, some are still in the old site format, and none of the links to pets will work lol...)
Oh my your work looks extremely nice. :) a lot of love and thought went into that map. I will be using both simple css and a very easy tool tip js to handle link menus when you click on a building on the map a menu will pop up giving you optional url links to go to from that and if you hover over the url pop up window but do nothing and move your mouse away the menu auto closes. Its a very simple js. The css will handle all the image requirements as to placement and layout. Not to worry all of it will be open source and offered into some of the themes I put together. The last part is a opening and closing js that will allow the whole thing to close to the top of the site, but when activated opens over the site to show the map.

It will very be very easy to just drop the whole folder into a theme folder and ad the few lines to make it happen into the header of the theme. I am making sure to write everything to just be called on from inside the theme and doing my best to make it very easy to alter to fit anyone's needs. Thank you for your interest in this. lol now back to work on it ;)
Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 PM

Added a sample of the map pre object layout; if anyone is interested. I might completely rework this in html5 but I want to make sure I do one thing at a time and have the css/js version done and clean first.

More to come as I get it ready. Stay tuned
Old 04-21-2013, 02:50 PM

using the latest in css construction for rounded edges on all web browsers and drop down shadow math in css I have constructed js pop up menus for the map that once a person clicks on an object that is places on the map a set of menu options or navigation options pops up on their screen. The menu stays on screen until the user either clicks on an option on the menu or hovers over the menu then moves their mouse away from it. It will close if hovered over but not used.

I have also started but not completed the hover over pop up tool tip math. The reason for writing my own js for this and not using jquery default math for this is so that the default jquery math is not used too much. We want to limit the amount of hits to the jquery stuff. Too many hits to a library has been proven to break a library use in a source. So to write your own is always better and stronger math.

More to come as I get it constructed.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:03 PM

Default Now on to the clean up

Ok 98% of the layout is done and everything is up and running, but I still need to clean up the code and images as well as come up with like 3 or 4 unique sprite images for kids to populate the map. Also need to finish up all the url links to site pages

After that we will be ready for a alpha test run of the map. All of the links will be set to already existing site links of interest to the source code. So no one will have a true need in redoing them for themselves later provided your using the 1.3.3 version of the source and all the links to pages are set as default links. If you have special made pages it will be quite easy to add your own pages to the pop menu lists of available links to go to.

We used only 1 pre defined open source js script for talk bubbles on the people on the map as I didn't want to have to write that one too, and the guy who made it did a fair good job at it. So tthat will be included in the package I prepare and offer here later this week.

Here is a sample 50% size version of the map layout as it stands now

the minimap is not going to be ready for version 1.0.1 of the map as I don't have the time to go into depth of what all I would like to do there, but all of the prep math for css and js has been implemented for it. I just don't have as much time as I had thought to build the actual tables and dev codes for it. As well the compass is just for show at this time and might have function at a later time.

\Anyways we are just days if not only 1 day away from a working kickass site map layout that anyone can use and put in their game.

I hope this code will be of use to some people.

Last edited by bobbybig; 04-27-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:28 AM

Credits: 2,198
Cremuex Levier is on a distinguished road

-drool- hamanna humanna.

So you'll be able to move your little avatar/character around the map too, not just have it as a normal image map? That sounds cool, so does the speech bubble thing. This is a whole lot more detailed then I thought it was going to be. You're amazing Bobby, and you're doing a great job so far!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 AM
Administrator, Lead Coder

Credits: 327,576
Hall of Famer is on a distinguished road

This is a really amazing site, I must say. You appear to be an excellent coder too, keep up with the excellent work. I will check it out every now and then.

Mysidia Adoptables, a free and ever-improving script for aspiring adoptables/pets site.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremuex Levier View Post
-drool- hamanna humanna.

So you'll be able to move your little avatar/character around the map too, not just have it as a normal image map? That sounds cool, so does the speech bubble thing. This is a whole lot more detailed then I thought it was going to be. You're amazing Bobby, and you're doing a great job so far!
Nah it is just an object/ image map. there is an open source development of a game thing that allows users to move around on the screen but it is huge and bulky on server use.

This is just a simple site map with each building and most of the objects as main site links a user might want to visit. The kids are also site links but can be used more like sub links or areas. I will be adding many more open source features in this as I progress in my help with this community.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to give the impression that this map was a movable and integrated part of the game beyond just being a site map. We will see what can be done with it in the future though lol I get kind of crazy some times with my stuff.