View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

Credits: 88,329
Kyttias is on a distinguished road

Mmm... I don't remember, but I think I'll trust this article on Digital Trends about the 'Best Domain Name Registrars' - the article is even from December 2013, so it's up to date.

A lot of it depends which top level domain you want. There are even some new TLDs as of this spring, but they're rather expensive. (I went with a .net because it was cheaper than a .com, but there are a lot of other great alternatives that can be really clever.)

I've heard that you need to be careful when searching if a name is available. This article ( link ) is from 2008 on the topic, but this one is from last April ( link ), both cover what I'm trying to say: Some places will buy your domains if YOU don't and then when you get confused as to why they're no longer available and visit them yourself to see what's up, you'll see a malicious domain registrar bought them first and want to sell it to you for an outrageously bad deal. Luckily, both these articles offer suggestions as to sites that are guaranteed safe to search. Sadly cybersquatting has been around for a long time and I'm dismayed to see that the practice is still occurring.

Buy from anywhere, just don't casually search availability anywhere!