Thread: Novul
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 08:56 PM
Premium Member

Credits: 88,168
Kyttias is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by parayna View Post
This seems cool! Will definitely join when it opens! (Following this post so I can get in there :P)
It'll be a while. ^^;

I found the Mysidia script in January 2014, and by the end of January, I created my first theme and shared it with the community. In February sketched out a few creatures. But life happened, I moved cross country, and it wasn't until June that I had a consistent set of line widths and shading practices for the art. Consistency is super important moving forward, y'know! In July I sat down and made a world map and thought up some deeper concepts (plot-wise, the goal is to have people 'curing' the world and putting an end to nightmares).

August happened, and I moved into a new house. I made up a temporary theme just for me and since scrapped it for another one. In September, I decided I wanted humanoid shopkeepers. In October I made a template for my item icons and now it's November and I've totally redone how I display items in shops. I've read a half dozen books on PHP, and I'm comfortable editing the files manually now.

I want to change how many pages are rendered by default, so December will be a month of modifying defaults and the start of programming some personal touches. Some of which will be released to the community, such as site-wide bonuses based on how active your site's community has been. Other features will be my personal secrets~

For example, the next thing on my mind is the chance for pets to get afflicted with a 'sickness' after they've been ignored for too many days. To fit the dream world theme of my site, these Novu will become 'nightmare' versions of themselves - frozen, unable to be levelled up by normal means, and unable to have that feature restored until they are 'cured' with an item. The item won't be at all expensive, however. In fact, I may even provide a means for users to do this to their pets intentionally. But it's more than cosmetic - frozen pets also won't be able to do story missions, or earn experience in any way.

Perhaps some interesting things might happen with certain NPCs if you have nightmare afflicted pets... forbidden from some shops altogether if you have more than five pets afflicted, but suddenly welcomed by dark strangers you didn't even know had shops... Having just one nightmare pet will open up new opportunities to you - and hey, some nightmare pets are nightmare by default, and won't suffer any 'frozen' penalty. In fact, if you have enough nightmare pets, and enough currency to part with, perhaps some NPC might just be able to help you unfreeze your pets but let them keep their nightmare status.

The overarching 'story' to my site has the user venturing into nightmare areas of each zone and, in each, confronting a basic fear. But it's never said you had to help the good guys cleanse these zones. While this may be a simple collectible adopts site on the surface, deep down, there's RPG functionality I'm dying to implement - where user choice matters and can influence everything from flavor text and additional dialogue to what shops and areas you have access to. I'm keeping these more intense features in mind, but they won't go into development until the core of the site is already complete.

This means more items, more Novu, more shopkeepers, mini-games, special skins/patterns, and, if luck has it, equippable items that show on the pets themselves. My girlfriend even expressed desire to outline a more complex breeding system.

Obviously I don't want to pay for hosting until I know what I've gotten myself into, but a semi-public alpha test version on free hosting could appear as early as late spring of 2015. (Right now my site is actually being built locally but my router doesn't have full NAT support sooo... public IP says no.)

Last edited by Kyttias; 11-22-2014 at 09:20 PM.