View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 12:11 AM

Credits: 3,074
Plague is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Irion. Especially if you have a disclaimer so that it's made clear that this is a work in progress people understand that it's on them to take certain measures regarding the security of their site. Which, in a way, is how it should be any way. No matter how you rewrite the code, people using it should be wise enough to change the names of crucial files for security reasons for example. The best coding in the world isn't going to stop stupid mistakes like that or people who do not CHMOD their files properly. In this day and age people should be smart enough to know about bots and install things like Captchas to protect themselves and if they don't quite frankly I put that on them, not the programmers of the engine.

Long story short, I guess what I'm saying is yeah, it would be good to clean up the code a bit and fix some security issues that are directly related to programming, at the same time I wouldn't get to hung up on it. I agree with the individual who brought these issues to the team's attention, at the same time there are a lot of things regarding security that a programmer can't do anything about. That's up to the people downloading and using this script.