View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 01:49 PM
A Headache Embodied

Credits: 117,792
Abronsyth is on a distinguished road

While I've yet to release a finished or even 80% finished site (I get distracted easily) I do have a general idea of what my answers would be to these questions.

For the first one; I plan to open up Public Beta with at least 10 adoptables, but would prefer more like 20. For updates I'd probably add one or two new adoptables weekly. I'm one of those people who craves updates in VPS, so it makes sense to me to be updating regularly with new pets/items. For holidays it really varies. I'd probably stick to the normal schedule, simply adding holiday-themed pets/items.

The news thing (technical terms here) is something that I've been slowly, slowly picking at. I'm thinking of eventually figuring out how to integrate some sort of blog-type system that would update on the main page as well as send an alert out to all users once a new article is posted. Unfortunately I am a long ways away from having the mastery of php needed to even consider this, but I'll get there eventually or pay someone else to!

Forums drive me nuts. I dislike Mybb in general, and would like a seamlessly integrated message board system. I may go ahead and save up funds to hire someone to come up with this as well. I really need to start learning php some day.

Since this is a management discussion thread I think I'll share some of my problems/experiences as well.

My main problem is that I apparently have dedication issues. I jump around site ideas so much that I can never settle and simply end up doing a lot of work just to dump it for something else. I can't even recall the times I've gone through and just wiped a site clean to start something new. It's frustration that I can't convince myself to stick with something, both to myself and hopeful users.

A secondary problem is I want to do all of the artistic work myself. I want the site to all be done in one style, and if I hired artists they'd end up plotting my demise because I wouldn't leave them alone. Of course when I'm ill or otherwise unable to produce artwork for the site, what am I supposed to do if I'm too picky to hire artists? It's another habit of mine that is incredibly frustrating. In all it's a little hilarious how much my personality infuriates me, or gets in the way of creating a successful adoptables website. However, I am determined to eventually do just that! I have a domain name purchased and just got back into coding CSS/HTML themes the other day.

Oh, there's a fun topic! Site themes and layouts. The theme is the very first thing that catches a potential members eye when they visit the site, so it is one of the most important aspects of said site. I for one know that if I visit a site with an obnoxious, difficult to use theme it doesn't matter how amazing everything else is; I'm done with it. So, what are your preferences/choices with the site theme? Light themes, dark themes? Color palettes? ((I prefer neutral themes such as shades of brown or green for lighter themes, and blue or yellow-green for dark themes)).

Well, ah, there's an elongated post. I need to stop typing books whenever I reply to a thread on a forum.