Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum

Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum (http://www.mysidiaadoptables.com/forum/index.php)
-   Suggestions and Feature Requests (http://www.mysidiaadoptables.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Video Tutorial Request (http://www.mysidiaadoptables.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1561)

alonaria 09-20-2010 05:11 PM

Video Tutorial Request

I think it would be really cool if there could be a video tutorial on using the Adoptables Script. I'm more of a visual person, as in I need to see things rather than read them, and I know the written instructions should be simple for most but I find them a wee bit confusing. Plus, if someone isn't knowledgeable in using scripts some of the written tutorial wouldn't make much sense to them.

Thank you for reading!

~Alonaria~

Hall of Famer 09-21-2010 10:06 AM

RE: Video Tutorial Request

Well this is a very good idea honestly, I like it. I may consider doing it someday when I am not bugged by school. XD

alonaria 09-22-2010 05:32 PM

Yea, I was surprised when I found that nobody had suggested it. I guess everyone here are really amazing coders and fully understood the written instructions. ;)

Hall of Famer 09-23-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alonaria
Yea, I was surprised when I found that nobody had suggested it. I guess everyone here are really amazing coders and fully understood the written instructions. ;)

Well I cant really say they are all amazing coders. Maybe they are, but this is rather irrelevant to whether there is a tutorial for newbies to PHP.

Anyway, didnt you ever notice that this place is rather inactive? There's no incentive for any members to attempt to make a tutorial like that when the project is on hiatus and possibly never comes back to life.

alonaria 09-23-2010 03:09 PM

That's a very good point. :)

Hmmm, another very good point. I really hope for this project to come back because it really is a wonderful idea.

Hall of Famer 09-23-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alonaria
That's a very good point. :)

Hmmm, another very good point. I really hope for this project to come back because it really is a wonderful idea.

Thanks for the comment. ^^

I hope so too, but I've sorta lost hope after seeing how Brandon actually had a huge amount of time to spend on myadopts.com but not this one.

alonaria 09-24-2010 04:58 PM

Yea. Too true, too true. I really think the only way to bring this project back would be if people started advertising it themselves since Brandon doesn't really care about it anymore. I really did have my heart set on creating my own site without MyAdopts but seeing the condition of this project I'm not sure there's much of a point.... I think I'll stay awhile, though, you seem to know a lot about coding and seem quite active, plus there also seems to be some other active members so I'll continue trying. :)

Wrim 09-24-2010 09:22 PM

I might be interested in doing something like this. What parts would you want help with?

alonaria 09-25-2010 08:21 AM

Hmmmm. I just thought that there could be one long video or a set of short videos for the average newbie to PHP and coding. Like, a tutorial about installing the script, how to get it on your website, etc.

alonaria 09-28-2010 07:41 AM

Oh, and maybe a tutorial about adding different mods.

Hall of Famer 09-28-2010 10:00 AM

Well actually it wont really hurt for some of us to gather a couple of Adoptable users to create a new forum together instead of using this one.

fadillzzz 09-29-2010 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hall of Famer
Well actually it wont really hurt for some of us to gather a couple of Adoptable users to create a new forum together instead of using this one.

I second that!

This forum has a lot of spam, plus no one has access to the admin panel...

Teshia 09-29-2010 03:58 AM

It would definitely be nice to able to manage the spam.

Hall of Famer 09-29-2010 11:18 AM

Yeah, this was why I'd been saying how Brandon completely abandoned this place. I do not think it takes more than 5 mins to clean up these spams, but apparently even 5 mins on this forum is too much for him?

Nvm then, I guess we can carry out this plan together if possible. It is rather easy to set up a mybbnew forum for anyone of us interested in hosting the new forum, or I can even host it on a domain of my hosting account on bluehost. It only takes 10 bucks though, not a problem for most of us.

alonaria 09-29-2010 07:15 PM

I'm not much help with coding and can't help with payment(ugh... parents o.x) but I will be happy to help in any way possible. Heck, I can even just be there to give you an extra member! xD I think this would be a great idea! If you decide to follow through with this project I'll make sure to spread the word if you wish.

Hall of Famer 09-29-2010 11:03 PM

Well actually you do not have to pay at all. What we possibly need is an active forum with discussion constantly going on and admins/mods who are responsible enough to spend a few minutes cleaning up dirt on the forum and answering members questions regularly. I will see how many of you are interested in this, and if possible I will get a domain for discussion. A very good objective here is to encourage members to create custom scripts/mods to share/trade with each other so that everyone will be better off than what we are already at. I have an itemshop myself, but it is heavily modified to match the theme of my pokemon adoptable site. I may edit it a little bit and release to public as a general itemshop system, depends on how much time I have.

Kaeliah 09-29-2010 11:39 PM

There are free hosts that offer limited databases and servers or completely free hosted forums where we could just all contribute together. It would probably be easier and honestly I don't think the handful of members still active here will take up that much space. ^.^; And who knows, maybe we could get enough mods and such together and just combine it all and recreate the adoptables script from scratch(ambitious project, but then we could redistribute it ourselves and it would have more regular updates and releases). Is the Rusnak Script considered open source for editing?

fadillzzz 09-30-2010 03:43 AM

Quote:

Well actually you do not have to pay at all. What we possibly need is an active forum with discussion constantly going on and admins/mods who are responsible enough to spend a few minutes cleaning up dirt on the forum and answering members questions regularly. I will see how many of you are interested in this, and if possible I will get a domain for discussion. A very good objective here is to encourage members to create custom scripts/mods to share/trade with each other so that everyone will be better off than what we are already at. I have an itemshop myself, but it is heavily modified to match the theme of my pokemon adoptable site. I may edit it a little bit and release to public as a general itemshop system, depends on how much time I have.

Yeah, exactly! Members who create mods are the most valuable asset in the forum.
I realize I've never created any mod myself, because all I did was only editing the script a little to make the site a LITTLE better.
I myself wanted to create a mod actually, but I just don't have the time but I'll try to help if there is anything that I can do
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaeliah
There are free hosts that offer limited databases and servers or completely free hosted forums where we could just all contribute together. It would probably be easier and honestly I don't think the handful of members still active here will take up that much space. ^.^; And who knows, maybe we could get enough mods and such together and just combine it all and recreate the adoptables script from scratch(ambitious project, but then we could redistribute it ourselves and it would have more regular updates and releases). Is the Rusnak Script considered open source for editing?

I like your idea on creating a new adoptables script from scratch, it sure is nice if we actually manage to do that! :D
But what's going to make it better is if we also manage to create a script to convert the database from Brandon's script to the new one unless of course if we decided to use the same database

Teshia 09-30-2010 04:41 AM

I think Brandon's script is just free to use, not open source. If it were open source he probably wouldn't have the copyright policy. Free to use and edit as you need, but not to distribute.

I think re-creating the script from scratch would require someone with a degree in Computer Science. If you did manage to do it though, I'd be all for an open source project.

Hall of Famer 09-30-2010 05:19 AM

What I am suggesting is an idea like what those addons and graphics sites/forum made about Vbulletin, which is apparently not copyright violation. What we will distribute is addons and other stuff related to rusnak adoptables, not the base script itself. Users still need to download brandon rusnak's base script from this site in order for the addons/mods to work on it. I wonder if it is possible not to credit Brandon Rusnak though, since this can result in copyright violation lol.

But yeah, creating an adoptable script completely from scratch is much harder of a task and I wonder if it is quite possible under such a condition. Also according the Rusnak adoptable's policy, we can definitely work together to create as many mods as possible but then it will still have to be released under Brandon Rusnak's name since he owns the script.

redheadturkey 09-30-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

I have an itemshop myself, but it is heavily modified to match the theme of my pokemon adoptable site. I may edit it a little bit and release to public as a general itemshop system, depends on how much time I have.

I know an itemshop of ANY kind is desperately needed for this script ... even a bare bones one would be wonderful.

Kaeliah 09-30-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fadillzzz
I like your idea on creating a new adoptables script from scratch, it sure is nice if we actually manage to do that!

Yeah it would be an awesome idea. I think honestly if we all pulled together and really cracked down on the project we could do it, but it would be complex. But then again, we could simply take the mods or mod ideas and integrate them easily as we write the script.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teshia
I think Brandon's script is just free to use, not open source. If it were open source he probably wouldn't have the copyright policy. Free to use and edit as you need, but not to distribute.

I think re-creating the script from scratch would require someone with a degree in Computer Science. If you did manage to do it though, I'd be all for an open source project.

I'm in AP Computer Science... Although we're not doing PHP, we're doing Java. Although I don't think you'd really need a degree, just someone who knows the ins and outs of PHP. Seeing as I started learning PHP this week, that's definitely not me but I know enough to figure out errors and have an idea of how everything in the script works and what needs to go where.

Quote:

But yeah, creating an adoptable script completely from scratch is much harder of a task and I wonder if it is quite possible under such a condition. Also according the Rusnak adoptable's policy, we can definitely work together to create as many mods as possible but then it will still have to be released under Brandon Rusnak's name since he owns the script.

Yeah so basically we have to say "This is a mod for Brandon Rusnak's adoptables script." But if WE create the modification, WE choose whether or not to share it or whatever. I'm sure it is possible, it would just take a very long time. XD

Hall of Famer 10-01-2010 11:42 AM

Yeah, this is basically the truth. We own the addons, but not the base script, and we will have to specify that users must install the base script from Rusnak web in order for these addons to work. The only possibility here is that someone actually purchases Rusnak Adoptable script from Brandon, and I wonder how much this will cost.

@ Redheadturkey: I will consider this, the problem is that I do not want Brandon to borrow the idea to myadopts.com. I am sick of how Myadopts.com users enjoys more features on their sites and better services from Brandon than we premium users/donators.

fadillzzz 10-01-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Yeah, this is basically the truth. We own the addons, but not the base script, and we will have to specify that users must install the base script from Rusnak web in order for these addons to work. The only possibility here is that someone actually purchases Rusnak Adoptable script from Brandon, and I wonder how much this will cost.

@ Redheadturkey: I will consider this, the problem is that I do not want Brandon to borrow the idea to myadopts.com. I am sick of how Myadopts.com users enjoys more features on their sites and better services from Brandon than we premium users/donators.

Hey, I have a Pokemon theme web site, too! Can you send me your itemshop script? (If you don't mind of course... :) )

Teshia 10-02-2010 02:41 AM

Ok, so maybe a degree isn't necessary, but definitely some schooling.

As for copyright, I think that if we make it known that you must download the Rusnak script. Then state that the Rusnak base script is copyright Brandon and any mods are copyright their respective owners and that all ownership comments must remain within the script. A mention that code cannot be redistributed would be good (it must be received from the user who built it). I think then we'll have our bases covered on all sides with that.

As for MyAdopts not getting the code, I think that's a bit ridiculous and vindictive. If we're going to make free code then it should be available to everyone unless there's a known user that violates a rule. Brandon has just as much right to ask for code as anyone else.

I would like to offer the suggestion that any individual user building a mod has the right to distribute that mod as they please. So for your case, HoF, if you build a mod that you don't want Brandon to use, then go ahead and deny him. However, if another user builds something then they can use their own discretion about who they distribute to.

Edit: @HoF: I just re-read the context of that post. Yes, I agree that you have the right not to give out your code. I think essentially that was what I was saying, but my first read through made me think you wanted that to be applicable to every mod. XD Apologies.

@fadillzzz: Its not really about the subject of your site, but the manner in which the code is organised. Even though you both have pokemon sites it is unlikely that HoF's code will work for what you need.[hr]
Quote:

Originally Posted by redheadturkey
Quote:

I have an itemshop myself, but it is heavily modified to match the theme of my pokemon adoptable site. I may edit it a little bit and release to public as a general itemshop system, depends on how much time I have.

I know an itemshop of ANY kind is desperately needed for this script ... even a bare bones one would be wonderful.

I plan on building a script that makes items available like a regular adopt. They'll be in the same table as regular adopts, but they'll have an additional setting tacked on to them that will display different options when you view the adopt's profile. It will be a while until I can get around to it, but keep an eye on my thread in the mod forum.

fadillzzz 10-02-2010 06:57 AM

@Teshia: well, I don't really care about that actually, cause I can always change it to suit my site

alonaria 10-03-2010 07:00 PM

Teshia has some really great points and suggestions. I agree with her.

alonaria 10-12-2010 03:04 PM

Come on guys. Dun let this thread and idea die! Post!

BMR777 10-12-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Hall of Famer, I wanted you and the rest of the community to know that I am currently considering either selling the Rusnak PHP Adoptables Script or making the script fully open source, so it could be freely modified. If I were to sell it rest assured that I would make sure that all who have purchased it from me would get Premium benefits from the new owner as well. I think it would be wrong to sell it and not have the new owner also accept existing premium members.

I am sorry about the lack of premium content here, however premium members still do get copyright removal rights, which many do take advantage of. :)

Kaeliah 10-12-2010 07:50 PM

Does that mean those of us who use the script now as it's free won't be able to anymore? x.x That would stink cause I've made mods for it and everything.

BMR777 10-12-2010 09:01 PM

If you downloaded it before the sale you could continue to use it for your own sites, modify it, etc, however after any sale the new owner might not make it available for free, or have free updates, so newer versions might not be freely accessible.

Kaeliah 10-13-2010 12:18 AM

Ah I see. I guess that would really depend then. If the updates or newer versions are worth the money to buy them I guess you could, but if not you could just use your own modded version of the code. That works. Thanks for clearing that up for me. ^.^

Hall of Famer 10-13-2010 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMR777
Quote:

Hall of Famer, I wanted you and the rest of the community to know that I am currently considering either selling the Rusnak PHP Adoptables Script or making the script fully open source, so it could be freely modified. If I were to sell it rest assured that I would make sure that all who have purchased it from me would get Premium benefits from the new owner as well. I think it would be wrong to sell it and not have the new owner also accept existing premium members.

I am sorry about the lack of premium content here, however premium members still do get copyright removal rights, which many do take advantage of. :)

Umm making it fully open source sounds like a cool idea, and if possible I will be helping out with a modification community similar to vbulletin.org for rusnak web. I know you raise funds through visitors per day, so if this helps with activity and popularity then please consider.

Anyway, this is completely up for you decide. I dunno how much Rusnak Adoptable script is worth though, maybe about $1000 - $10,000? Best luck then.

alonaria 10-13-2010 07:22 PM

Yep, good luck with that! :) *highfives BMR* Hope you get a decent price for it. ;)

Hall of Famer 11-23-2010 09:18 PM

I Will make one when the next version of adoptable script is released. Shouldnt be hard to do, just need hypercam.

alonaria 11-29-2010 03:28 PM

Sweet. *highfives* Thanks!

*points* Hey, your name is red! Prettyyyyy. You deserve it!

Hall of Famer 12-02-2010 04:51 AM

@ Alonaria: Thank you again, I try my best to make a better community. ^^

And for that premium members concern BMR brought up, I dont really think the new owner needs to give premium benefits to RW's premium members. All these premium members are the rights to continue to run their RA sites and benefits such as copyright removal. The new owner may have a completely different premium membership system, and the way to get premium membership can be quite different too. Anyway we will see how this goes, should be interesting to figure out.